Friday, May 15, 2009

project management

Who would have guessed that one of the most mundane sounding topics would turn out to be the most interesting topic of the whole semester. First off, I was deeply surprised to hear you could be certified as a project manager. To me I always thought of project manager as a position one attained....like shift manager at a MickeyDees or something. I have a couple of engineer friends who have described themselves to me as project managers and I just assumed they rose to that elevated title b/c they were the most capable on the project. I still think that is the most logical pathway to the position but I now I have a better understanding of what's involved in the job....and I find it rather interesting in an odd way.

I couldn't help thinking how different things might have been if we had applied some of the principles of project management to the planning and building of our camp at burning man this year. An epic undertaking with no real project management to speak of.....in fact, a distinct desire for no "management" whatsoever. I believe our camp would have benefited greatly from some of the basic criteria of project management; not the least of which is the decompression/review session when the project is finished.

check out what it's like to have real project management at burning man.

1 comment: